This week, as we continue with our study through the gospel of Mark, we come to the account of the temptation of Jesus.
Christ’s baptism, which as an incredibly high point, is followed by an incredibly low point (being weak through fasting and being tempted by the devil). As we cross-reference this temptation account in Matthew 4:1-11 and Luke 4:1-13, we will first be identifying three characteristics of the temptation of Jesus:
- It was Spirit-led temptation;
- It was ministry-preparation temptation;
- It was God-aided temptation.
Following this, we will be identifying the three ways in which Jesus was tempted:
- The temptation of independence.
- The temptation of reassurance.
- The temptation of allegiance.
All throughout, we will be looking at what Scripture says concerning temptation in the life of the believer: where it comes from, how to identify it, and how to overcome it.